- Applicants must be in grades 9, 10 or 11 at the time of application.
- Applicants should be open-minded, flexible, willing to accept new challenges and reading for rewarding experiences.
- A hard copy of the application must be submitted to the JCMU office in East Lansing by the second Friday in March.
Application ProcessApplicants must submit a completed application form (along with the other documents outlined in the application cover sheet):
- Full Application: 2017 Michigan-Shiga HS Exchange Application
- Teacher Recommendation Form (if you need additional copies): 2017 Michigan-Shiga HS Exchange Application - Teacher Recommendation Form
Completed applications should be sent to:
427 N. Shaw Lane, Rm. 110
East Lansing, MI 48824
Requirements of Participation
- Students must submit a photocopy of the signed photo page of their passport by Friday, May 12, 2017. Passports must be valid for three months after the program end date.
- Students and parents must attend the orientation held in East Lansing at Michigan State University.
- Families of selected students must host a Japanese student for two weeks in late August / early September.
- Michigan families must arrange transportation to and from Lansing for their Shiga student at the beginning of the Shiga students' visit to Michigan, as well attend the closing reception (location TBD)
- The high school attended by the Michigan student must be willing to welcome a Japanese student to its classes for two weeks in September.