Faculty & Staff Visit Travel Grant Program
JCMU is pleased to announce a new funding opportunity for faculty and staff who wish to conduct a site visit to the Center in Hikone, Japan. Scholars in all fields and from any institution are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to individuals from JCMU Consortium, Affiliate or Cooperative institutions. Applicants who receive a JCMU Travel Grant will be asked to present a lecture on a topic of his/her choice while visiting the Center. Artists, performers and musicians may conduct a community demonstration or performance in place of a lecture.
- To provide financial assistance to individuals who wish to visit JCMU as part of a larger trip to Japan/Asia;
- To expand educational opportunities for JCMU students and community members in Hikone by bringing a diverse set of lecturers to the Center;
- To expand knowledge of the Center’s mission and programs to faculty and staff from the United States;
- To give participants the opportunity to learn more about Michigan’s sister-state in Japan, Shiga Prefecture.
JCMU Travel Grants may be used for transportation expenses, including airfare and ground transportation in Japan. While at the Center, rent-free lodging will be provided for up to three days. Lodging does not include international phone service. JCMU Travel Grants may not be used for conference fees, membership dues, entertainment expenses or technology or equipment purchases.
To be eligible for the JCMU travel grant, applicants must:
- Submit a letter of intent, describing their desire to visit the Center and proposing a lecture topic to present to students and community members while visiting the Center;
- Provide a letter of recommendation from the department chair, Ph.D committee leader, or other supervisor as appropriate;
- Provide a written budget for the trip, including proof of matching funds from their home institution.
GRANT PAYMENT PROCEDURES:
Grant recipients will receive reimbursement in U.S. dollars through the JCMU East Lansing office after travel has been completed. No cash or yen payments will be allowed. Awardees must submit original boarding passes and/or receipts within 30 days of their return to the United States in order to receive reimbursement.
Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis. Grant application materials must be submitted to the JCMU East Lansing office at least 30 days prior to travel to Asia.
For inquiries or more information, please contact the JCMU Program Office at Michigan State University.