Visa Application Process
Visas for JCMU students will be processed through the JCMU program office in East Lansing, MI. Post-acceptance materials that are listed on students' online applications are used to file for visas on behalf of students.
By applying on behalf of our students, JCMU is able to receive visas much more quickly and with fewer errors. To facilitate the visa process, all students should carefully complete the necessary documentation and submit it to the program office by the deadline.
Which type of visa do you need?
- (SUMMER, MAY PROGRAMS) No visa required for students participating in programs shorter than 90 days and who are citizens of the following: United States, Canada, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the UK/Ireland, Isreal, and most of Western Europe.
(SUMMER, MAY PROGRAMS) Temporary Visitor Visa: This visa is necessary for any student participating in a program shorter than 90 days and who is a citizen of the following:
- People's Republic of China
- Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, etc.)
- South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka)
- Eastern Europe (former Soviet bloc)
- Middle East (Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc.)
- Africa (all nations)
- South America (all nations)
- Mexico/Central America (all nations)
- (FALL/SPRING SEMESTER) Cultural Activities Visa: This visa is necessary for ANY student participating in a program between 4 and 6 months in duration, such as a single semester at JCMU.
- (ACADEMIC YEAR) Student Visa (12 Months): This visa is necessary for ANY student participating in a program longer than 6 months in duration, such as the academic year at JCMU.